External Electives


University of Manitoba Trainees planning an Elective at Another Institution

Trainees are required to have the appropriate:

  • licensure (CPSM equivalent required for accepting program)
  • liability coverage (CMPA does not cover medical electives outside of Canada)
  • immunizations required for the elective destination
  • health insurance for trainees

How to apply for an External Elective at another institution

Trainee Requirements:  A Trainee wishing to take an International Elective, for credit towards CPGME Program training, must meet the following requirements outline in the PGME International Electives Policy.

Trainees must be in good academic standing with his or her Program.
Trainees must provide their Program Director with sufficient information about the International Elective at least six (6) months in advance of the desired start date, to obtain written permission from their Program Director.
Trainees is required to investigate the intended location, and provide information to their Program Director of any risk factors that will be posed by the requested placement. 
Trainees should confirm if an International Agreements is in place with the Intuition. https://umanitoba.moveonca.com/publisher/2/eng
International Travel Advice: Contact the University’s International Centre for international travel guidance and advice (for e.g., register with “International SOS” and receive a pre-departure orientation, including resources available in case of emergency)

Click here for a process map: Applying for an External Elective

Pre-Departure Handbook for University of Manitoba Student Travelling Abroad

Government of Canada Vaccination Recommendation